Saturday, August 13, 2011

a new chapter

A new chapter is beginning in my life at the end of the month. For the first time in almost 14 years, I will not be an employee of anyone. I will be JUST a stay at home mama. I'm excited. Nervous. Terrified.

I'm excited to be able to focus only on my children. I'm so glad to not have to hide in a closet in my bedroom to take a work phone call to escape the noise of my kids. I'm glad I don't have to say, "give me 10 more minutes of working and I'll play trains with you". Yes, I'm excited.

I'm nervous because I don't remember what not working is like. I've had a consistent job since I was 15.

I'm terrified because I don't know what it will be like to not be using my brain for something else other than teaching preschooler songs, colors, numbers, etc. My job is simple, but it takes concentration, and a little level of number understanding. Will my brain turn to mush? Will I crave adult conversations more than ever? Will I be able to find an adult to hang out with? Yes, those are a few of my weird terrifications (yup, made that up).

But you know what? I've been so busy making a budget, getting our financial ways in order, and aligning everything perfect before I would even let myself think about being just a stay at home mom. I was too busy doing that, that I forgot about the trusting the Lord part.

My kids need me. They need my attention. They need me to disciple them. All of that out weighs the "are we in a perfect financial position?".

So, here we are. We are a family of 5 trusting the Lord with our finances. 
One man working. 
One woman staying home with 3 beautiful kiddos. 
(I like numbers, did you know that?). 

1 comment:

The Life of Lisa said...

I am excited for you friend. We will have to put dates on the calendar to hang out and let the kids play. It's scary to trust God financially, we are in the same boat... lots of love to the shoemaker family!!! :)